Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 38 Melide - Arzua

Bread Shop in Melide


7am
I've woken up with a sore throat, cough and cold. Not surprising as I've been so wet and cold for the last three days. Fortunately just a short day planned to Arzua today as there is a long etapa tomorrow with no accomodation en route. We have booked a private albergue for 12 euros each. Seems the best compromise in the circumstances.

I'm not sure if it's still raining but suspect it is.

Last night, we were a group of 6 staying in this hotel planning to have dinner together. But they didn't start serving until 9pm. In most places, despite the normal Spanish late dining, they start serving pilgrims from 7 pm. None of us could face going out in the rain again - it was really torrential - so we stayed here. It was a lovely meal - lots of fish - but I was tired and past it and couldn't wait to get to bed - probably cos I was incubating this cold!


Oh dear! Didn't get far this morning when I realised I really couldn't go any further in the relentless rain.  After setting off dry with cosy feet and best of intentions, I gradually got wetter,colder and unhappier. And I felt so ill! Started to think I was mad to be doing it- didn't need to do penance or be a martyr to any cause.

I said to Ruth that if it was raining tomorrow, I definitely would not walk. I had made the decision. She suggested we try and curtail today. Fortuitously, we landed at a main road with a bar and a bus outside. The bus pulled away as we approached but the seed was sown. We went in the bar and ordered hot water to make a Lemsip and a taxi to take us to Arzua. It was only 8 euros. 

We had booked a private albergue that had offered us 2 double rooms for 24 euros per room. What a godsend! 2 big rooms, bathroom and kitchen.  I was able to spend the afternoon in bed with more of the Spanish equivalent of Lemsip.

John and Mo arrived sodden and weary about 3pm. I don't think I missed much. It was another head down day. Before I lost the will to live, I had appreciated the pungent decongestive smell of the eucalyptus trees as we past through more Galician wet woods. Ruth got some of the leaves down for me and I crushed them and put them in my pillow. I think it helped. 

The four if us went out for Paella for dinner. I didn't have much appetite. A muted ocasion. I suspect we were all secretly hoping for a change in the weather and our spirits before the grand finale. 

Don' look now! Hunchback pilgrim and flooded path


John and I walked in the rain from Melide to Aruza. It was so heavy that even my knickers were wet when we stopped at the bar for lunch. John didn´t seem to mind the rain and remained chirpy. I couldn´t wait to stop. Luckily it was a short day and we had rooms at the alburgue so no dormitory experience for us tonight. Jenny´s cold got progressively worse and after seeing and missing a bus, she and Ruth got a taxi to Aruza. Tomorrow´s another day. Mo

Waiting for Paella

1 comment:

  1. You poor Love. If possible try to keep warm and DRY. There is nothing like a cold to put the mockers on things. Our wonderful fine weather has departed too and now it's much cooler AND wet or dampish. We hope the cold does'nt last. Think of those gorgous coffes with flaming Brandies. . . .
    Love Di.

    ReplyDelete