Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 37 Airexe - Melide (22kms)

6am
After a jolly evening last night and exchanging sentiments with others, I feel a bit more motivated to tackle today's walk in the rain although it feels a bit like going through the motions.

Some very loud Germans and Americans left our Pension about an hour ago. We are all still in bed and I think everyone has gone back to sleep. The local cock is crowing which means it's probably time for the rest of us to get up!

5pm
Another very wet day with little respite. Caught sight of a TV in one of the bars we stopped at and there are serious floods in Spain, on the North coast I think. Although Galicia is known for it's wet weather this is not normal for June. What should have been a fabulous walk was a real effort. I'm still walking in shorts cos it's easier to dry legs than trousers but I was cold and miserable.

We are staying in a hotel tonight but there is no heat so dripping clothes likely to stay that way. Hot shower helped warm me up and I've now got all my winter woollies on - merino wool, fleece etc.

I've just conferred with Ruth to ask what more I can say about today. She said it was a day with few redeeming features. We spent most of it knee deep in mud and we now seem to be in a small industrial town with no character at all. But we are not going out to find out if we are wrong as it is still lashing down.

On a more positive note (from John) - an angler only sees the flooded rivers as opportunities for sea trout to swarm in from the sea. Also many thanks to Peter for introducing us to the 'carajillos' - strong coffee and flaming brandy mixed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment