Sunday, March 7, 2010

some thoughts from Jenny ....

Its countdown time for me. I'm leaving Hebden on Tuesday to spend a week with my elderly mother before I meet up with Mo in London.

I spent Saturday weighing every item I wanted to take on my kitchen scales and rationalising my allowance of socks and knickers! So far I am under 8Kg but know there will be lots of last minute 'just in case' items I won't be able to resist. Ironically, one of the things that really appeals to me is the challenge of living out of a small rucksuck for 3 months cos normally I'm surrounded by so much 'stuff'. So there is one reason I am doing this secular 'pilgrimage'.

But the main reason is because I can. It's absolutely Mo's brainchild and she asked me to join her last year. I said I'll certainly join you for a bit of it but as time went on I thought what the hell? For the first time in my life I am commitment free. No work, children, dog, husband or partner. No one who needs looking after, no one who needs me. What a liberation!

I havn't thought long and hard about the logistics of walking day in day out. If I did I would frighten myself out of doing it. Other friends have considered joining us and having taken one look at the itinerary and bottled out. My head is firmly in the sand. Take it as it comes and if the going gets tough - hop on a bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment